.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Today I interviewed a new client. He is employed in a boutique business writing and publishing firm and is Mandarin speaking from Malaysia.. What really impressed me was the attitude of his employers. They really respected his work and his ability to communicate visually. His work was definitely an asset to the company and they were trying very hard to provide him with  whatever it took to improve his communication skills.His employers have agreed to fund a five week one-on-one class focusing on pronunciation and writing skills. My  main message to him will be ( to use a sporting expression) "It's now time for you to step up to the plate".
Changing your pronunciation patterns can take a long time but it IS possible if you put in the time and effort. It requires practising the drills over and over again, recording yourself and listening for and correcting your errors. My new client will be able to change but it is up to him to put in a real effort to show he appreciates what his workplace is doing for him.

I probably sound like an old school principal but I can't reiterate enough the necessity for practise, practise, practise.